Our Work


01. design public health intervention

Working with a division of the NYC Department of Health our team was asked to create branding and a complete front-end design for an online intervention targeting young women in key NYC zip codes. The requirement for the online tool was for a responsive mobile Web application that worked across all platforms.

For branding we conducted one-on-one interviews with the research team and within the target communities. This helped influence logo and branding and we also provided custom font styles with culturally-relevant color palettes and layout styles. We also provided comprehensive messaging and branding guidelines.


02. mapping community resources

We collaborated with the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia U. to design and geocode a map of community resources in upper Manhattan and the South Bronx. The purpose of the map was to identify important resources for lower-income residents who may not have access or be able to afforde traditional healthcare services.

This project turned out to be a great success and we were proud that it is still in use today. We used the Mapbox API because of its ability to customize and design. The map includes resources like food pantries, drug treatment centers and housing resources. Categories were grouped by color with custom map symbols. We managed all data from start to finish and geocoded several hundred resources. During interviews with users they noted its ease-of-use, navigation elements and design aesthetics.


03. process for user interface

For a text-message based intervention our research team was asked to outline a process by which users would sign-up for a four week informational campaign to study the impact of text messages on patient adherence. Our task was to come up with a secure sign-up process starting with recruitment that protected patient information while encouraging potential users to finish the sign-up process.

We worked through multiple iterations of the sign-up process until we had identified all touch points with potential users, from initial recruitment through completion of the text campaign, including follow-up interviews. We tested multiple scenarios along the way to improve the process. The result... we delivered a detailed user interface process that included a simple, secure sign-up process that protected patient data while reducing overall study attrition.


04. protecting online patient data

A great deal of our digital work is in medical and public health which generally are design, planning and program intensive projects. These projects require a high level of customization mostly because of the data storage and security regulations necessary for protecting patient data.

One innovative application we recently built for CUMC allows pharmacists and physicians to communicate in real-time via a secure online interface. Once a patient signs up for a particular medication then pharmacists and physicians can manage their prescriptions via an online interface. The key here is that patients aren't required to go to the doctor or a hospital. Without taking any personally identifiable information our application assigns each patient a random generated user id; all data is transmitted over SSL; we also worked with CUMC to ensure that storing and deleting patient data conformed to HIPAA regulations.


05. custom language translation via Node & Git

Our team recently designed and programmed an application in NodeJS which required a custom language translation module. It was a requirement that the program be customized to reach Spanish-speaking women in the South Bronx.

What made this challenging is that we initially expected to use a popular online plug-in that handles translation via the browser, but we realized we needed to shift our approach for a couple of reasons: browser-based translation tools sometimes have a lag-time during translation which can ultimately slow the program; and these tools also don't always account for differences in dialects, which can change a sentence or the meaning for the end user. We solved this by moving the translated text to the front-end of the application and using Github we were able to translate, test and push hundreds of line of content in close consultation with the client and translator. Our approach reduced by weeks the amount of time it would normally take such and effort and we also improved functionality for the end user.